I wanted a classic cafe racer, the lean striped back silhouette of the frame, engine, seat, head light and wheels, with nothing else to see.
I started by stripping the bike down and de-tabbing the frame. I then cut the hoop to size to fit the seat. I then fabricated a fluted carb protector, added mounting tabs to the frame, created an under-seat tray and cross mounts for the electrics. Once complete it was sand blasted and powder coated in “Illusion Orange Cherry”. This actually led to the low point of the build, as the powder coat reduced tolerances resulting in much sanding to fit bearings etc.
The steering head was converted to tapered roller bearings. All other bearings and seals were replaced. The chain was converted to a 530.
Thankfully the engine was running well from the donor, so I swapped the carbs out for some Mikuni RS flat-slides and pod filters.
I added a complete new wiring harness with an M-unit Blue hooked up to an SSB lithium battery, and wired in a Dyna S electronic ignition and coils. I then swapped out all engine bolts for stainless steel, and all the seals and gaskets were replaced.
Added Tarozzi clip ons, a Lucas head light, a Posh tail light, TEC rear shocks and Hagon progressive springs with cartridge emulators in front forks. with drilling of the front brake discs.